Thursday, August 21, 2008

Family birthday came first: Miller

Family birthday came first: Miller
By BRIAN GRAY, SUN MEDIA


Spending time with his family takes priority over attending a firefighter's funeral, Mayor David Miller said yesterday.

Miller has been criticized for his absence during much of the aftermath of last week's propane explosion in Downsview, including the funeral for District Chief Bob Leek, who died during the fight to control the blaze.

"I'm also a father and one of the things my family was doing in B.C. was celebrating my daughter's 13th birthday with my relatives," Miller explained.

"I think that everybody understands that as a father you have to be with your daughter when she turns 13."

Miller returned briefly after the Aug. 10 explosion but left town again prior to the Aug. 15 ceremony for Leek.

"I spoke both to the family and to the firefighters as soon as I knew the date and said I wouldn't be able to stay," Miller said.

The mayor visited the blast site yesterday morning and said he was pleased with the progress of the asbestos cleanup in the area, which he estimated would cost between $1 million and $2 million.

The city is going after Sunrise Propane and possibly the land owner to recover the cost but there are no guarantees taxpayers won't get the bill.

Cleanup crews should be finished by tomorrow but they will return again on Saturday to ensure all the asbestos has been removed, Miller said.

The city is looking at plans to change zoning bylaws, he said.

No comments: